The Grand Palais
, located between the avenue Winston Churchill and the avenue du Général Eisenhower, is one of the most impressive monuments in Paris along with the Arc de Triomphe
and the Eiffel Tower. The silhouette of this gigantic crystal and steel “vessel” stands out in the Parisian sky. It now welcomes temporary exhibitions
of internationally renowned artists that attract crowds of visitors.
The Exposition Universelle of 1900
The Grand Palais was built for the world fair organized from April 15 to November 12 in 1900. Its construction was carried out at the site of the Palace of Industry that hosted the world fair of 1855. It was destroyed to be replaced by this far more imposing structure, more likely to make France shine before the eyes of the entire world. A “Monument consecrated by the Republic to the glory of French art” as can be read on one of its pediments…
The Grand Palais is the work of three architects, following a competition launched in 1896. Unable to decide between them, the project was a synthesis of their ideas.
With a surface of 775 000 sq. ft., this building is composed of three different areas: the Nef, the National Galeries and the Palais de la Découverte. It was in 1964 that the Minister of Culture, André Malraux, decided to consecrate a part of the Palais to temporary exhibitions. Recently restored, it was closed between 1993 and 2005 because of the poor state of the framework. It was listed as a historical monument in 2000.
Nef du Grand Palais Avenue Winston-Churchill 75008 Paris
Opening hours of the Grand Palais depend on the exhibitions or events taking place there.